It can be confusing trying to find the perfect fit, especially when you're buying rings online...for the first time...for your girlfriend.
Whether you're looking for your first gift ring or you're already a connoisseur, I've got your back helping to make an amazing surprise to your woman.
Read on for three simple ways to find your girlfriend ring size, quick tips, and some info on international ring size conversions.
sign up to receive huge discounts when i launch on kickstarter
My ring sizes all use standard US measurements.
💡Tips #1: Ask who might know your girlfriend's ring size (sister, mom, friends), if they don't know it directly they could help you find it indirectly. Talking about rings between friends is much more common than talking about it with your boyfriend and you would not arouse any suspicion.
Confusingly, different countries (like the UK, France, Germany, Japan and Switzerland) all have their own measurement systems.
Please refer to this international conversion chart to find your corresponding US size.
|Inside Diameter||Inside Circumference||Sizes|
|MM||Inches||MM||Inches||British & Australian||US & Canada||French & Russian||German||Japanese||Swiss|
|13.83||0.544||43.45||1.71||E 1/2||2 3/4||-||-||-||-|
|14.15||0.557||44.45||1.75||F 1/2||3 1/8||-||-||-||-|
|14.25||0.561||44.77||1.76||F 3/4||3 1/4||-||-||-||-|
|14.36||0.565||45.11||1.77||G||3 3/8||45 1/4||-||5||5 1/4|
|14.45||0.569||45.40||1.79||G 1/4||3 1/2||-||14 1/2||-||-|
|14.56||0.573||45.74||1.80||G 1/2||3 5/8||-||-||6||-|
|14.65||0.577||46.02||1.81||H||3 3/4||46 1/2||-||-||6 1/2|
|15.04||0.592||47.25||1.86||I||4 1/4||47 3/4||-||-||7 3/4|
|15.27||0.601||47.97||1.89||I 1/2||4 1/2||-||15 1/4||8||-|
|15.40||0.606||48.38||1.90||J||4 5/8||49||15 1/2||-||9|
|15.53||0.611||48.79||1.92||J 1/4||4 3/4||-||-||-||-|
|15.70||0.618||49.32||1.94||J 1/2||5||-||15 3/4||9||-|
|15.90||0.626||49.95||1.97||K 1/4||5 1/4||-||-||-||-|
|16.00||0.630||50.27||1.98||K 1/2||5 3/8||-||-||10||-|
|16.10||0.634||50.58||1.99||L||5 1/2||51 3/4||16||-||11 3/4|
|16.30||0.642||51.21||2.02||L 1/4||5 3/4||-||-||-||-|
|16.41||0.646||51.55||2.03||L 1/2||5 7/8||-||-||-||-|
|16.51||0.650||51.87||2.04||M||6||52 3/4||16 1/2||12||12 3/4|
|16.71||0.658||52.50||2.07||M 1/2||6 1/4||-||-||-||-|
|17.13||0.674||53.82||2.12||N 1/2||6 3/4||-||-||-||-|
|17.35||0.683||54.51||2.15||O||7||55 1/4||17 1/4||14||15 1/4|
|17.45||0.687||54.82||2.16||O 1/2||7 1/4||-||-||-||-|
|17.75||0.699||55.76||2.20||P||7 1/2||56 1/2||17 3/4||15||16 1/2|
|17.97||0.707||56.45||2.22||P 1/2||7 3/4||-||-||-||-|
|18.19||0.716||57.15||2.25||Q||8||57 3/4||18||16||17 3/4|
|18.35||0.722||57.65||2.27||Q 1/2||8 1/4||-||-||-||-|
|18.53||0.729||58.21||2.29||Q 3/4||8 1/2||-||18 1/2||17||-|
|18.69||0.736||58.72||2.31||R 1/4||8 3/4||-||-||-||-|
|18.80||0.740||59.06||2.32||R 1/2||8 7/8||-||-||-||-|
Note: just for reference, most women's ring fingers are a US size 6, although size 5 and 7 are also common.
The ring diameter method
In case the help of the "public" doesn't work here is another technique to be able to find the ring size of your girlfriend, but be careful, you will have to transform into a Ninja in order not to be discovered.
In fact, you will need her ring to measure or compare.
💡Tips #2: Measure the inside of one of its rings with a ruler.
- First make sure you use a ring of her that she wears on the finger where you want she wears yours.
The classic position is the ring finger, customs dictate that the engagement ring and wedding ring be worn on the left hand.
- Once the correct reference ring is in your hand measure the inside diameter of the ring in millimeters.
- Check the chart above in the "Ring Diameter (mm)" column to find the US ring size corresponding
💡Tips #3: Compare the inner circumference with my reference guide.
- You will always need her ring.
- Print this guide at 100% scale and follow the instructions.
The Finger Circumference Method
This method is only applicable with the help of your girlfriend's physical finger, so no surprise effect, but it might come in handy so I post it here.
Print my size guide at 100% scale and follow the instruction of the second part.
- Choose which finger you want the ring for. Remember, your fingers are all different sizes!
- Push the end of the ring sizer through the 'slip' so it forms a ring shape, and slide the sizer onto the intended finger.
- Adjust the tightness until you have a comfortable fit.
- When you have the right fit, read the size indicated by the arrow.
Tips for measuring your ring size
- Make sure your fingers are at a "normal" size when you measure them. Fingers shrink a bit in cold weather, and they swell after you've had alcohol, after you've exercised.
- If your knuckle is particularly big, you may want to choose a bigger ring size so that the ring can fit over the knuckle
- Size differences between your left and right hand often exist! Fingers are also fickle creatures that like to change sizes through the seasons (eg when you're in hot weather, they may swell a little) and during pregnancy.
- What's a good fit like? Your ring should slip on easily, but be snug and slightly difficult to remove.
Can't you find the size on my website? Don't worry, in the site I've put the avarage customer size, contact me and I'll be more than happy to made the ring of your size.
What if the ring doesn't fit perfectly?
First of all, don't worry!
Your girlfriend will be busy looking at all the little hearts thinking about your statement that this mistake will take a back seat.
Since the ring is exactly the size you ordered, if you didn't get the size wrong, it could be that your girlfriend's fingers are, for some reason, bigger or smaller momentarily, so give yourself 2/3 days to test the size.If the size is really wrong here are two solutions:
- Go to your neighborhood goldsmith and ask if he can adjust the size. I will personally reimburse you for up to a maximum of $ 30.
- Due to the intricate design and depending on whether you need to tighten or widen the ring, your goldsmith may not be able to help you.
In this case, please send me the ring back and I will send you another one with the correct size. The only drawback will be the wait for another 2/3 weeks.
You can find out more about how to return here.